‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.’
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase in the 1730s as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more aspects of Hazelwood, Maryland Heights, and St. Charles life, particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some of the most important guidelines are highlighted here.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush. They can be purchased at any Florissant, Missouri area drugstore.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard whenever you are engaged in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged. This includes many St. Louis recreation league and school sponsored sports.
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Avoid piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection and nerve damage. It’s a dangerous Florissant fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Stay away from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
My name is Dr. Martin Buchheit. Helping my dental patients establish good habits is important to me, and so is helping them achieve the smiles they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening, dental implants and complete smile makeovers.
Koch Park Dental – Martin L. Buchheit, DDS has been serving the Hazelwood, Maryland Heights, and St. Charles area since 1987. If you are in the market for an exceptional dentist, we invite you to contact us at 314-837-7744 so we can make an appointment for you.
Dr. Martin Buchheit
Koch Park Dental – Martin L. Buchheit, DDS
2149 Charbonier Rd.
The following website was used as source material for this blog:
http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/preteens-and-teens/, accessed on Feb. 21, 2013