This post from Koch Park Dental in Florissant MO is about your tooth enamel, and how you can best protect it.
Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel – the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely common, though largely preventable.
Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are certain medications, teeth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion.
- Forceful brushing can damage enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
At Koch Park Dental in Florissant MO, your dental health is always our biggest concern. Patients from Florissant, Hazelwood, Ferguson, and St. Louis come to us for general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!